Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Midwife Appointment

On our way to the appointment, I got a call from a private number. It was the midwife. She said that she had some cancellations and that I could come on in. (I was afraid that she was called out on an emergency or something.) I told her that we were already on the way, but that it would still be about 25 minutes. We ended up getting there around 3:50pm. Our appointment was at 4:00pm.

After signing in and filling out some paperwork, they took me right back. I went through the usual pre-visit routine (vitals, etc...). The nurse then asked if I wanted the next set of genetic testing completed. After agreeing, she tried to take my blood. She didn't have luck. Let me tell you, it's going to be BRUISED tomorrow.

The midwife then came in and since she had not met us yet she asked a ton of questions. I wasn't annoyed; I found it very reassuring. I asked her about golfing. She told me no : ( . I asked her thoughts about deli meat and she said perhaps I could just microwave it before eating. Then, she decided to use the doppler. She started up near my belly and kept moving it around, but couldn't find the Baby's heartbeat. She tried for 45 seconds or so. She decided to take a quick look with the ultrasound. (* I wasn't too worried, I had just used my doppler this morning and I found the heartbeat. I knew that she was trying up too high, but I wasn't going to say anything when she decided to do a quick ultrasound : ) . As soon a she turned it on, there was our September Blessing! Due to angle and lighting, I was having a hard time seeing the screen. But, my DH and Baby C were close by. I could see the Baby's head and spinal cord. I could also see their arms and legs moving like crazy. At one point, she said the Baby was waving! She said there was no problem; she saw the hearbeat right away.

She decided to use the doppler again since she had a better idea of where the Baby was. Still no luck! So, she turned on the ultrasound again for another peek. Still good! She just said that the Baby was hiding and being tricky.

She also made a gender guess based on that (no we didn't peek). Her guess was the same as the midwife and student at the last appointment.

*She also made a note in my chart. NO AMOXIL for me EVER AGAIN! We also got a great bag of samples, magazines, a pregnancy journal, etc...

She then drew my blood for the testing from my other arm. She had a difficult time also, but manage to get some after a little wiggling.

My next appointment is 4.20.11 at 2:00pm for our anatomy scan. At this point we can find out gender if we decided to do so. At 2:15pm the same day we are scheduled four our 20 week check-up. We have decided to take off work that day to celebrate!

5 comments:

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

AWESOME! Glad all is great with you and your sweet miracle! God is GOOD!

manymanymoons said... [Reply to comment]

So glad everything went well.

Kelly said... [Reply to comment]

Such great, great news!

Jacksmom said... [Reply to comment]

Great news!!! They're only allowing 15 minutes for the anatomy scan? Maybe that's all it takes, but I feel like it took alot longer than that for us. Maybe Jack wasn't cooperating or I was terrified something would be wrong.

kkasun said... [Reply to comment]

What a great appt!!!!!
I am so glad you got an ultrasound!!!!!!
Wow, that 20 appt is coming up fast!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2010