Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Monday- Day 3/Part 2

We left the conference room and headed for the area in which Baby C was being kept. She was so peaceful. I didn’t want to wake her. But, I wanted to kiss her all over. I’ll be truthful, I hadn’t kissed her up until this point. I was afraid to. The next few moments are blurry to me. The area in which she was being kept had gotten pretty busy with more babies. Therefore, there were more family members and more nurses.

Within seconds of us walking in, the discharge routine was started. She was taken away to get her hearing test. She passed with flying colors.

One of the nurses asked us for the details of her first pediatrician’s appointment. What? We didn’t have one. They told us we needed one in order for Baby C to be discharged. Luckily, I had a practice in mind. I stepped out to call, but they had already closed for the day. Thankfully, the nurses understood our situation and simply put in Baby C’s file the name of the practice. They said that they would call us the next day for the details, but they never did.

We changed Baby C’s diaper and were able to change into her “coming home outfit” her for the ride home. What I had originally picked out, the blue dress-like outfit, didn’t fit. It was too big! So, she came home in a flowered zip-up sleeper (preemie size) and the hat in which we originally saw her in.

The nurses we amazing to us. We left the hospital with a ton of formula, diapers, dry wipes and soothies. One of the “Blanket Brigade” members happened to be around when we were being discharged; she sent us home with two blankets, a burp cloth, changing cloth and another hat. I also got a nice Si.milac bag.

DH left to pull the car around. We had received so much that I sent it down with him. While he was gone, I had to put Baby C in her car seat for the first time. She wasn’t too happy. But, I was actually happy to hear her cry; she had barely cried the first two days. Then, a nurse escorted us (the SW also) downstairs. Baby C cried most of the way. I felt so awkward trying to carry everything and trying to sooth her with her pacifier.

When we got downstairs, DH was waiting for us. After a few hugs, we were on our way. Of course, I sat in the back with her. I guess I started to feel a sense of relief on the way home because my stomach started growling. I was hungry! We stopped at Mc.Donalds. DH went in to get our food while Baby C and I waited in the car. She got a little fussy as we waited (probably because I started taking pictures). I have never eaten so fast before. Mickey D’s has never tasted so good either.

Then entire ride home, we talked about how we were going to tell everyone. We got home around 6pm and had to change two diapers within minutes of walking in the door. It was time to let our family in on our secret. We set up the video camera to capture our side of the conversations. DH called his Dad, Mom, brother and brother’s girlfriend first. They had just grilled steaks, but once they heard we wanted them to comer over, they left dinner behind. He also called his other brother, sister-in-law and their children. They too came right over. While we were waiting for them, I called my sister (that lives near us). She was at work (she is working for the C.ensus). She said she would get to the house as soon as possible.

I want to remind you that they knew nothing. My sister knew something was up since I had ditched her Saturday morning. But, we had been pretty much ignoring everyone since we had received the call.

As we waited, we got our gum cigars and pink angel bow ready. DH had purchased these on his way down to bring the car around. We also set up our video camera. It seems like it took everyone forever to get to our house. DH’s family showed up at the same time. As they were walking up, I pushed the record button. Our hearts raced. Our lives had already been changed and now it was their turn.

As they came in the front door, DH handed everyone one of the cigars and I held Baby C where they could see her. The reactions were priceless. Tears flowed and emotions were let loose. Smiles were plastered on all of our faces.

A little while later, we did the same thing when my sister and her daughter arrived. Again, words cannot explain these moments.

We told them what we could about the adoption, but mostly we focused on Baby C. Her name, weight, length, eyes, skin tone, etc... were all topics of conversation. Everyone wanted their chance to hold her. Eventually, my sister went back to her house and brought back a bouncy seat and play yard. Around 9pm, we set up the camera again and called my other sister and my brother. They too were in complete shock.

Our family then had to leave, they had jobs to get back to the next day. It had been a long day for Baby C. It had been a whirlwind of a weekend for us. It was time for our first night as a family of three.


Rach said... [Reply to comment]

How amazing and exciting!!

Karen and Shane Ellison said... [Reply to comment]

You don't know me, but somewhere along the 3 year TTC journey I took, I came across your blog & bookmarked it. I don't read it everyday of course, but once in awhile, when I have time, I look at it. I was thrilled to see that you were pregnant & then weeks later, when I looked again, I was so crushed for you that the pregnancy did not last. So, now, today, I had a few minutes to look at a few blogs...I am bawling after reading your last few posts. (-: What an amazing blessing, an amazing story! I am so happy for you & just wanted to tell you that! Enjoy baby C!!

Amber said... [Reply to comment]

I can't imagine how you kept this a secret!!! I hid my pregnancy for 14 weeks and that was hard, but you actually brought home your baby! Great story.

Abby said... [Reply to comment]

I love reading your adoption story. It is so heartwarming and so well written. Congratulations on your new family!! I look forward to reading more! :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my goodness. This brought tears to my eyes! I'm so happy for you, your husband, and YOUR DAUGHTER!!!

Kari said... [Reply to comment]

I love reading this!! It's so beautiful and such a wonderful story!! Congratulations again and I can't wait to hear more!!

Jennifer said... [Reply to comment]

I love it! Happy tears for you all. I'm a crier and this definitely touched me! Congratulations on your family of three!!

Krista said... [Reply to comment]

Happy tears for you and your family of three. Bless you and your husband and your precious daughter!

Krista said... [Reply to comment]

Happy tears for you and your family of three. Bless you and your husband and your precious daughter!

Lina said... [Reply to comment]

I love your true story!<3 I'm all in happy tears for you, DH and baby angel girl. I'm very emotional person and I started crying when I read your story which definitely touched me deeply in my heart! :) Congratulations dear to U, DH, baby angel girl and to your families! God bless U and take good care of your family of three!:) Hugs, Lina

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Oh so many tears of joy and happiness for you! May God Bless you all for all the days of your precious lives.

Circus Princess said... [Reply to comment]

I have a huge silly smile on my face and tears are blurring my vision, I'm so happy for you!! Such a beautiful, wonderful moment!! And then seeing the picture you posted in the new post, OMG, my heart feels like it's about to burst :)


Jacksmom said... [Reply to comment]

Oh man, you made me cry!!! Such a sweet way you told everyone. I can't believe you kept it secret until you got home. I completely get why, I just think I would have had to tell someone! So happy for you!

embieadoptmom said... [Reply to comment]

I bawled during this post !!! WOW! that you kept the secret! GOOD JOB! I think you did everything JUST PERFECT!


Waiting Lisa said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful. Congratulations!!


Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2010