Sunday, February 14, 2010

DH & I have a confession to make...

I am not sure where to start. I’ll just go ahead and let it all out…

We have decided to look into adoption! So much has and has not happened that has led us to this step in our journey. There is so much that I need to tell you, but it would take me days to get it all out. So, my plan is to tell you about our decision, our new journey, in smaller chunks.

Foremost, I want to tell you that DH & I more than excited about this decision. My hurts flutters every time I think about being a Mommy. That is what my heart desires…

Adoption has been on my mind for a while now. And, I am sure that DH had been thinking about it also. In early January we received word that we would not be able to go through with a F.emara/Trigger/IUI cycle since I seemed to be O’ing from my ‘bad’ side (side that I am missing a tube). We were devastated once again. Sure, things had been much worse in the months prior, but this wasn’t the icing on the cake that we needed. We went through 2 miscarriages last year. The day that I got the news about not being able to even try was one of the worst days we have had in a few months. Around that time, I asked my DH if he would be willing to attend an adoption orientation meeting that I had discovered in my recent research. He agreed. The meeting was the next week, January 13th. After emails and phone calls we were on the list to attend.

At this meeting, DH and I learned so much about the process itself. We got tons of paperwork to skim over and were able to ask questions that we had. I couldn’t believe how many couples were at this orientation with us. Some of the couples had already been through the process and other s were there to look into the potential of raising a second family. But, the couples that stood out to us the most were those that we like DH and I. Some, we knew because they asked questions about adoption and ongoing fertility treatments and others we could tell just from the looks on their face. It felt good to be around people like us. It felt good to know we were the only ones.

That night we were sent home with an application. Over the next few weeks DH and I researched the internet and our hearts more. The more we learned, the more we realized that our hearts are open for adoption.

What’s happened since then you ask? Well, a lot! We have finally put things up on our walls (pictures, wall décor) and started cleaning out closets with the idea in mind that a social worker could be here in the matter of a month or so. We have started looking for books about adoption. Do you have any suggestions? We have also gotten our referrals which also meant telling some of our family about our intentions. That went really well. We have emailed the agency with a couple of questions. And, best of all… We have sent in our application! (I just checked my bank account. They cashed the check for the application fee Friday. I hope that means that they have sent out our next packet of information!)
Posts Coming soon…
1. Where Fertility Treatments Stand
2. What Type Of Adoption We Are Pursuing
3. The Process Itself

24 comments:

Leda said... [Reply to comment]

I am so happy for you! I can't wait to hear all about your process. I am looking forward to reading all about it. I love seeing such a happy post!

Beckie's Infertile said... [Reply to comment]

YAY! This is great news for you guys. Wishing yuo all the best in your adoption journey! Looking forward to you other posts!

Katie said... [Reply to comment]

Congrats to you both on this momentous decision! I'm looking forward to following your new journey!!

Priscilla said... [Reply to comment]

You are amazing! Your incredible attitude and heart....you will be a WONDERFUL mother!!! xox

Can't wait to read your updates. :)

Courtney said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to follow along on this new journey. :-)

Peaches said... [Reply to comment]

That is amazing news and it is great that you & DH are open to alternative avenues of creating your family. I hope the process goes as smoothly as possible. Still got my fingers crossed that you get a positive beta this week.

Nicole said... [Reply to comment]

How exciting!!! I'm so happy for you! This will be a wonderful new chapter in your journey, but hopefully a shorter one, lol. How awesome, congrats on your new decision. Do you feel "pregnant on paper" like they say you do?

Shanny said... [Reply to comment]

This is very exciting news! I hope this journey is a fast one, the reward in itself will be so wonderful. GL!

Amy said... [Reply to comment]

How exciting. I can't wait to hear more about this journey.

Jennifer said... [Reply to comment]

Oh sweetheart...that's FABULOUS! I'm so excited for you!

Jennifer VBK said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I've been following you for a while and was excited this morning when I read your update about adoption! :)

If you ever want to chat or vent, feel free to email me. jennifervbk@yahoo.com

Tiffany said... [Reply to comment]

Hi! I just saw where you have started following my blog!
Congratulations on the decision to adopt! We have recently decided as well! Unfortunately we haven't gotten to start anything yet since we are moving across country in a few weeks! LoL
Anyway, good luck with everything!

A great book that I read was Secret Thoughts of an Adoptive Mother. It was a really good read! Also, Complete Idiots Guide to Adoption has a lot of useful information too! Haha! Between those, and following a bunch of other adopting bloggers, I have learned a ton!!!

Can't wait to follow your journey!

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

Congrats on your decision! I know when my husband and I started the adoption process, so much peace came over both of us. It just felt right. Thinking of you guys as you begin this wonderful and fulfilling journey.

Amber C said... [Reply to comment]

I am so freaking excited for you! There is a baby out there waiting for you! Congratulations on just a big step in planning a family. So happy for you and DH!

Life Happens said... [Reply to comment]

That's great news! I wish you the best of luck on this journey. We are still praying about what to do next. I am hoping the Lord will help us to make the right decision.

Fertility Chick said... [Reply to comment]

Excited for you!!! Just wanted to wish you well and offer my support! Best wishes to you!!

Jennifer said... [Reply to comment]

Hi, Rachel,

I was checking my blog today after being off the grid for a while and noticed that you are a follower. Thank you so much! I came over to visit and to read a bit about you.

Thank you so much for sharing your story, which is so filled much hope and much heartache. Please know that I am so sorry for the losses that you and your lovey husband have experienced over the last two years. What a time you both have had.

I am happy to hear that you are considering adoption. Please know that adoption is a different path to becoming a family, but one that has its own joys.

I look forward to reading about this next leg of your journey to becoming parents.

Best and peace,
Jennifer

embieadoptmom said... [Reply to comment]

Rachel,

Being an adopted child myself and having 6 adopted kids, I could not be happier for you! Blessings on your journey!

Jen

Missy said... [Reply to comment]

Great news. I hope everything goes well. I've been thinking of this more and more and I'll be following your progress!

Jacksmom said... [Reply to comment]

Great news! I was checking in on you, because like you, I have one patent tube. We did IVF before (one success, one not after that), and were going to adopt domestically, but financially we're off that road. Now we're asking our RE to try an IUI because DH's numbers are a bit better. I will keep checking in on you, it's exciting that you're on your way to making your family!!!

Jodi said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for following my blog! Congrats on starting the adoption process,that is so exciting!

The first book I read was Adoption for Dummies. It is really easy to read and very informative! Good luck, I'm looking forward to following your journey!!!

Willow said... [Reply to comment]

How exciting that you are starting the adoption process! The book that helped me most was The Open Adoption Experience. I would highly recommend it. We adopted our son thru domestic open adoption last May--he is 9 months old now and the light of our lives! Good luck with your journey!

tomi said... [Reply to comment]

Wishing you the very best on your journey! Hope everything goes smoothly for you both.

Tomi

Lily said... [Reply to comment]

This was a very enlightening post. Thank you for sharing your experience about being open to adoption and how the process is affecting you emotionally. I especially liked you mentioned being around a lot of people like you and your husband. Boy, what a difference that makes!

Best of luck to you both!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2010