Sunday, February 21, 2010

1 Down 3 to Go

Welcome to those visiting due to ICLW! For those of you who haven’t been here before, my history can be found on the “OUR TTC JOURNEY” page. To find out about our lastest plans, please read the post “DH and I have a confession to make.”

I am exhausted. This coming week is exam week for my students. Between missing four days in the last two weeks due to snow and trying to get my students where the needed to be, I am about pulled my hair out. On top of that, I had a college assignment due this past Friday. Let me tell you, this professor is picky. I like to be an A student and right now I am not quite sure I am going to get that A at the end of this semester. Of course, I also got a BFN Friday. I hadn’t tested at home and I also didn’t have my hopes up that that much… ok so I am fibbing. How could I not have my hopes up? My nurse presented us with several options. To learn about some of our options read this. Right now, I am waiting on AF to talk to them again.

Now back to yesterday…. DH and I left our house around 7:40am. After a quick stop at M.icky Ds, we made it to the adoption agency with a little time to spare. Other people were late. Grr…. Honestly, I didn’t know what to expect. There were nine couples there and a tenth did not show. Out of the nine couples, only two of us had no children. Of the seven other couples, two of them had adopted their first child. One of wives was an adoptee herself; it’s going to be great having her in class. The social worker leading the class adopted her two daughters through this agency. Three of the couples attending the meeting where going through another agency, but were taking their homestudy education courses through our agency.

The first part of class was spent talking about what to expect in the training, openness, the homestudy iteself and transcultural adoption. After a short break, we had three quest speakers. The first that spoke were a couple who had adopted four children through our agency. Their story was amazing. I never realized how many ups and downs adoption can have…. Just like IF. What was even better about this time was that the couple’s oldest baby’s birthmother was also in attendance. It was wonderful seeing their interaction and hearing from the birthmother herself. I would love to tell you more, but due to privacy issues I will not.

We then left for lunch. We went to Mc.Calister’s Deli. I think that’s a Cincy thing. DH had never been there.

After lunch, we talked about the adoption process itself. This took forever since the social worker had to explain two different processes (one for our agency and one for those couples attending from the other agency).

We ended the day talking more about transcultural adoption. For homework, we have a lot of reading to accomplish and even a form to fill out (we have been asked to fill out the same for that potential birthmothers are asked to see what it is like).

Our next class is Tuesday evening from 7-9pm. For this class, a speaker is coming down from C.olumbus (2 hour drive) to do a presentation about transcultural adoption. O.hio A.doption L.aws require three hours of education in that area.

On the way home, we had to make a couple of stops to return and pick up a few items. We then met, my BIL and SIL at A.pplebee’s for dinner. (Where I spilled a drink all over my SIL. Whoops….). We didn’t get home until almost 9pm.

Then, I graded a test. Did I tell you? All of my grades have to be online today by midnight! I still have a project to grade. I still have an exam to make. I have another college assignment due this Friday. My house is a mess and yes, I know…. we ate out three times yesterday!

*When we got home, the BIG packet had arrived from the agency!

24 comments:

Kari said... [Reply to comment]

Sorry for the news on Friday. It sounds like your adoption class will be very informative and exciting!! Good luck meeting your deadlines and I'm looking forward to hearing about your adoption classes as they go!! :)

Peaches said... [Reply to comment]

It sounds like you had a full day and a lot to think about with the adoption you seem very happy in your post. Good luck with all the school stuff and I hope you are coping with your BFN

Courtney said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so glad your packet arrived. Yay! It sounds like things are moving right along with this new journey.

Amber said... [Reply to comment]

It's exciting and scary to be starting a new journey in your quest to be parents, but I'm looking forward to following along the way!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds like the class went well. Glad the packet finally showed...better late than never I suppose.

Baby On Mind said... [Reply to comment]

Hello from ICLW! I'm excited for your adoption journey. We have been TTC #1 for 6 years and going through the beginning of IVF cycle. We looked into adoption, including attending an info meeting and putting in an application. Unfortunately, we feel that we are not ready for adoption yet. It is still a very real possibility for us, but not at the very moment. Wishing you all the best! I know it can be quite a ride!

Jacksmom said... [Reply to comment]

I was looking forward to this post since we never made it this far, and I was interested to hear how the classes went. Thanks for telling us, and Happy ICLW!!

Fran said... [Reply to comment]

Hi, stopping by from ICLW, so sorry about your BFN friday, I had the same last wednesday after our 3rd ICSI...it sucks no end, even if you expect it. We are also in the adoption path, but in Ireland it takes something like 2 years before you do a prep course and then another year to be assessed by social workers. So it's very very long...I hope we'll stay in touch!

Love, Fran

ICLW #51

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

How exciting that you are making so much progress on your adoption journey! I am interested to hear how the classes go.

Happy ICLW!

Glass Case of Emotion said... [Reply to comment]

Visiting from ICLW. Congrats on the move to adoption! I wish you luck and congrats, it's a beautiful thing.

Myndi said... [Reply to comment]

Your adoption class sounds like it was very helpful and informative. The process...I still found it too scary to think about. Kudos to you for moving forward in a direction that feels right. I can almost feel your excitement through the post.

Good luck in TTC and the adoption!

Hannah said... [Reply to comment]

Happy ICLW. So sorry about the BFN. Glad to hear about classes with information on adoption, I never thought of that. I am thinking more seriously about adoption now, especially if my current cycle, IUI #4, isn't successful and depending on our future options ... so thanks for sharing.

iwillbeamom.blogspot.com

Gurlee said... [Reply to comment]

It is interesting and exciting to read about your journey of becoming a parent. Like many others, I am clueless about navigating the adoption process. Best of luck and may you be blessed with life!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Good luck with the adoption and ttc roads your on!

Happy ICLW!

Suzy said... [Reply to comment]

How exciting. I wish we were able to adopt, but in our country it's nigh on impossible! Best of luck...I came from ICLW but I will stick around to follow your journey :)

Jaymee said... [Reply to comment]

it is a lot to take in, but well worth the trouble. the more education you get the better. adoption can be a beautiful thing, it can also be a VERY bumpy road. congrats on getting started.

ilcw

Catrisha T said... [Reply to comment]

I found you from ICLW, but I'm definitely going to be following now. We're both from Ohio... to cool to meet another IFer in OH. Not that IF is cool though.

Any how, sorry to hear about your BFN. Happy to hear that you're moving on to adoption. I'm glad that you're first class was a fulfilling one. Can't wait to read more about your journey to becoming a parent.

Mrs Woggie said... [Reply to comment]

I'm here from ICLW. It sounds like the adoption class went well and that you learned lots and lots.

Best of luck with the rest of the adoption process.

Priscilla said... [Reply to comment]

You're amazing...your energy and your ability to get up each time you get knocked down!!! I think of you often!!

Wishing 4 One said... [Reply to comment]

Sucks about Friday, so sorry my friend, the BFN never get easier, I know. But what a day you had- breakfast, lunch and dinner out, very cool oh and a spilled drink to boot, whoops! Your adoption pursuit sounds so interesting and I look forward to reading along. Happy iclw.

K said... [Reply to comment]

Blessings on your adoption Journey !!!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Our class was very interesting as well. It was a lot of information to take in but all worthwhile as adoption is such a major decision. glad the package came.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

You sound very busy. Good luck with getting everything done and getting an A in your class.

Browniris said... [Reply to comment]

I am glad to hear that things went well at the adoption class. Best wishes!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2010